Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Adding Calendar and Sites

The students figured out how to share their word processing documents fairly easily. I loved being able to grade from my own computer, and giving feedback that they could see from home or school. I also loved having NO papers stacked on my desk other than the mess that seems to always be there!

Last week I assigned a new project. I wrote the guidelines on a document, which I then shared. However, they couldn't find the document, which was annoying. I needed to give a link using their online gradebook homework information.  I really wanted to avoid handing out all that paper. I haven't yet figured out why this didn't work. 

Anyway, they are going to design a website (using Google Sites) based on teaching a standard, working in self-selected groups of 2-4 students.In the team, they needed to decide on a standard.
1.  Create a document and share it with the rest of the team and me.
2.  Create a calendar and share it with the rest of the team and me. (Most of them were able to figure this out, but I did have to teach them how to share the calendar.) Onto the calendar put milestone and due dates for each team member..
3.  Create a Google Site which includes the following:
     A.  A front page with title, team names, etc.
     B. A standards page with the standard written out completely
    C.  A works cited page with all citations, including links to videos, pictures, etc.
    D. Various pages to introduce/teach the standards.

1 comment:

  1. Shauna, I love how you outline and lay out your projects. I'm still struggling, especially as a content teacher, with finding the balance between delivering content vs. allowing students to create content. Projects require blocks of time to set up, talk through, and to process the inevitable roadblocks that will crop up, and behind this I often hear the whisper,"Why didn't you just teach them the old-fashioned way?" How do/did you manage this tension when you taught core?

    ReplyDelete