Monday, April 2, 2012

Getting Started With Students

On a Monday, when I was feeling rejuvenated (!), I introduced Google Docs to my students. I had them each log in. Using the projector, I showed them how I could create a document, and then how I could share it. I simply shared with one student in the class, and he edited/commented (depending on what I allowed). The students were hooked. 
They had finished researching for an upcoming project, so collaborating to get and give feedback was the exciting reward. They opened their Word research document, and then copied it to a new Google doc.
They re-titled it with their first name and "Project Design", which would make it easy for other students and me to find in our own documents list. It was funny to watch them ask each other how to spell names, and then getting up to check if their document showed up in their peer's list. We discussed the differences between "edit" and "comment" and "view" rights, and students were inconsistent at how they handled these with their peers. (I wasn't too concerned, since we still had the original Word document as a back-up.)
Once they had commented and received comments, I encouraged them to make improvements. The following day, after corrections/improvements, they were instructed to "share" with me. The one confusion was that my name didn't match the student naming pattern, and some were confused.
Following that, they were encouraged to start planning for their project, and getting some insight and support from peers using their Google Apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment